By Kristin Canning Self
Looking for a new summer workout? This plan, created by trainer Rose Wetzel, a professional Spartan obstacle course racing (OCR) athlete will prepare you for common obstacles. But even if you aren’t planning to sign up for a race, these six moves will tone your body — and put a smile on your face.
The Plan: Do the moves two times a week for at least a month before your event. Prior to each workout, warm up with five minutes of jogging and high knees. Do each move once, then run a quarter mile at a fast pace. You should also run for at least 45 minutes at an easy pace once a week and rest or do your favorite cross training activity on other days.
1. Up and Down Stand with feet shoulder-width apart. Crouch, placing hands on ground in front of you. Jump feet back into a plank. Do a push-up. Jump feet forward, then jump straight up. Continue for 30 seconds.
Preps You For… climbing walls and the penalty burpees you may have to do on failed obstacles
2. Army Crawl Lie facedown and use your elbows, hips and toes to move forward. Continue for 30 seconds.
Preps You For… crawling under wires and nets, or through tunnels
3. Weighted Push-Up Start in a plank with toes on a sturdy bench or chair and hands on ground, arms straight. Do push-ups, keeping elbows close to body. Continue for 30 seconds.
Preps You For… rope climbs, tire drags, rings
4. Double-Leg Hop Place five cones (or other markers) in a line about 12 inches apart. Stand at one end of the line with feet together, arms at sides. Keep feet together as you hop from cone to cone. Continue for 30 seconds.
Preps You For… tire runs, leaping over or through mud and fire pits
5. Medicine Ball Throw Stand with feet hip-width apart, holding an 8- to 10-pound medicine ball at waist, left side facing a wall two to four feet away. Twist and throw the ball at wall. Catch it as it bounces back. Continue for 15 seconds, then switch sides.
Preps You For… monkey bars, rings, spear throwing
6. Step-Up Stand with feet hip-width apart, about 12 inches from a sturdy bench, step or chair. Step up with left foot, lifting right foot and driving knee toward chest. Do 15 reps. Switch sides; repeat. Make it harder: Hold 5- to 10-pound dumbbells.
Preps You For… tire flipping, uphill sandbag carries, bucket carries